Monday, November 2, 2009


Until now, access to storage under the starboard settee was limited to two small doors on the front of the settee and one opening in the seat board, under the cushion. The cat marks the spot for the top access. You couldn't see what was in there or get much in or out.
The obvious cure was to access the area via the seat board which was fastened into place with 27 screws. So, I removed the screws and cut the board to make a swing up cover. Maybe it took 27 screws to eliminate rattles but it seemed excessive as I extracted each with a manual screw driver.
After cutting, I filed the edges and corners down on the brass hinges (they had sharp corners that could have cut through the bedding used on the settee), and set them in place. Then I added a finger hole to lift the board.
The unfinished finish work, is to add a brass hook and eye to hold the board up for easy access to the storage area and some padding around the finger hole.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

This is what sailing Florida's Gulf Coast is all about.
No wonder I make so little progress when it comes to getting work done.

WED. 10/21/09
High: 85 Low: 71
Sunrise: 7:34
AM Winds: ENE 14
PM Winds: ENE 15

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Mutiny on Soul Mate

Well, I guess my crew, Seaman FuzzyFace, decided that it was just too boring to remain on, Soul Mate. He jumped ship yesterday, via a leap from the V-berth, through the forward hatch. That hatch had been closed and filled from the inside with a custom fitted slab of R-8 insulation all summer. Since we were enjoying our first "nice" day of Fall, with temp's finally under 90 degrees, now a sudden drop to the high 60's, I removed the insulation and opened the hatch about 4 inches before leaving for Home Depot to buy materials to fit the new sliding screen/shade fixture to be installed inside the hatch. Needless to say I didn't discover until several hours later, he was gone. Of course, I ended up walking the docks shaking a bottle of "Cat Candy" for several hours, to no avail. And, I sat up till 3 AM, in the cockpit, periodically shaking the "Cat Candy." I finally hit the rack at three, leaving the forward and companionway hatches open. This morning, no FuzzyFace. I hope he leaped to the finger dock on his way to a great adventure, and did not decide to plunge off the deck and catch one of the big fish that lurk in the 15 foot water about the boat. Gee, I miss the silly cat.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Too hot to work on Soul Mate

The weather, (with heat index readings at or in excess of 100 degrees daily over the last week), has made it impossible for me to summon enough energy to work on the boat. This is the point in time when everyone sits around in the owners lounge at the marina and talks about what they "should be" doing.
However, I did start working on the storage situation. I am cutting the plywood sheet under the starboard cabin seat/bunk so I can put most of it on hinges. This will give access from the top of the area by simply removing the seat cushion and swinging the board up. Currently the only access is via two small doors on the front of the seat base. And, you have to get down on your hands and knees to see a bit of the storage area through the doors. This change will make the space under the seat much more usable, and easier to use.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Project One

Project One - Adding a shelf to hold gallon jugs in the unused space behind the hull side back wall of the Head.
Actually this project was born amidst my very first task, Project Unnumbered (AND HENCEFORTH UNMENTIONED): Replacing all the Head hoses.

When I had to access the pump out hose, behind a wall topped with a single shelf, I discovered that most valuable of all things aboard any ship, EMPTY SPACE!
When I removed the top shelf to access the white pump-out hose, the empty space was unexpected.
The first rush of thought following the discovery of SPACE took me from bubbles to balloons, visions of drawers with brass fittings and warm wood, polished beauty dancing in my head like a child's dream of toys and candy. But, after staring at the job while drinking two (not just one) cups of black coffee, the balloon burst, and I realized I could, in the real world, do a cabinet style shelf to get the gallon size bottles of bleach and other necessary evils out from underfoot.
The steps for Project Head Start were something like this:
Step One - Remove the Screws holding the wall in place.
CORRECTION....... Find the wood plugs covering the screws and drill them out.
1-A. Remove the screws, all driven in on impossible angles. Place blood covered screws in a plastic container until cleaned and taped to the bulkhead.
Step Two - Add a First Aid Kit to the Pending Projects List, after locating Peroxide and a band aid.
Step Three - Replace the pump out hose with new Blue Line Sanitary'

Step Four - Install a frame for the new shelf.

Step Five - Make a shelf pattern using cardboard. . .

Then cut and paint the shelf and install with a dollop of wood glue on the frame and two screws.

Step Six - Draw openings on the back of the bulkhead, drill the corners, cut out the openings with a jig saw.
Step Seven - Reinstall the wall using the newly cleaned screws.

Note The Reading Rack - Comforts Of Home

Doors sitting on toilet and trim not on yet. Waiting to install trim work and insert new wood plugs over the screws when all the projects are ready. It seems reasonable to buy and finish all the trim at one shot so all the projects will match (sure they will).

Friday, September 18, 2009